January 4 2022 Update
While it is our hope to run a Winter swim program, we are putting a pause on all aquatic programs for the recommend 21 days (until January 26, 2022) made by the provincial government and local health authorities. We will continue to update this page as new information becomes available. We thank you for your patience and understanding.
Holland Bloorview Kids Rehabilitation Hospital's Aquatic Therapy program aims to help improve children’s strength, balance, range of motion and overall fitness. Any child for whom these specific goals are reasonable and achievable is appropriate to enter this program.
Classes will be provided in a semi-private session (max. 2 children) with individual exercise programs developed and supervised by a physiotherapist.
No physician referral is required. Families can self-refer for Aquatic Therapy program.
Benefits of aquatic therapy include
- Increase in joint flexibility. Buoyancy offers a tremendous advantage because it reduces the effects of gravity allowing for increased joint range of motion. The warm water also helps to relax muscles that are sore or tight.
- Increase in muscle strength. Water is 600-700 times more resistive than air which allows for strengthening of weakened muscles. Water resists rapid movement so equipment with increased surface area is used to increase strength.
- Decrease in pain. Immersion in warm water increases an individual’s comfort, by increasing blood supply to sore muscles and promoting relaxation. Weight relief to weakened body structures also creates additional comfort.
- Decrease in tone, spasticity, and rigidity. Water temperatures above 92 degrees in conjunction with hands on techniques are effective in creating neutral warmth that reduces increased tone.
- Improved balance. The uniform pressure of the water along with buoyancy provides support which allows increased time to react without the fear of falling or getting hurt.
Program Dates: Tuesdays (January 11 - March 01)
1. Print our self-referral formand mail or fax it to us by Monday December 06, 2021 (address and fax numbers are on the form).
2. Due to high demand for the program, participants will be randomly selected on December 07, 2021 and will be contacted to discuss booking a time for an assessment.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Krysta Pigden at 416-425-6220 ext. 3707 or by email email@example.com
Time: 30 -minute semi-private session (times will be assigned based on appropriate grouping)
4:15 p.m. - 4:45 p.m.
4:50 p.m. - 5:20 p.m.
Cost: $720 ($90.00 per session for 8 sessions)
(Physiotherapy receipts provided)
Location: Elkie Adler Therapy Pool
Holland Bloorview Kids Rehabilitation Hospital
150 Kilgour Rd, Toronto, M4G 1R8