Volunteering at Holland Bloorview is a commitment. Our clients rely on you, the volunteer, to participate in programs. These are the requirements to volunteer at Holland Bloorview:
- 14 or 15 years of age with either Bronze Medallion or Bronze Cross Lifesaving Society Award for the Aquatics program only
- 15 years of age with previous FIRST Robotics experience for the Robotics program only
- At least 16 years of age
- Previous experience working with children and/or persons with disabilities preferred
- A positive attitude and willingness to try new things
A commitment of 1 shift per week (approximately 3 hours a week) until the program end date, typically in June (a minimum of 75 hours) is required to volunteer in our full year/school year placement at Holland Bloorview. Volunteer shifts occur at the same time and day each week, including during exam periods.
You must be able to complete all mandatory online and in-person orientations and trainings.
Applications for our 2022-2023 Year Round/School year opportunities are open. Applications will continue to be accepted until all positions have been filled.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Please note that submitting an application does not guarantee a volunteer position. We will be contacting only those applicants selected for an interview. In the event that a suitable volunteer position is not available at the time your application is received, your application will be retained for a period of 1 year, and will be reviewed periodically as volunteer positions become open.
We are continuing to accept applications for 2022-2023 volunteer opportunities!
At this time, we particularly welcome applicants with:
- Weekday morning or afternoon availability for an immediate start in inpatient therapeutic recreation, Bloorview School Authority, Ronald McDonald Playroom, and/or Bloorview Nursery Schools volunteer placements (minimum age varies depending on program)
- Sunday afternoon or evening availability for an immediate start in Weekend Respite Day Program volunteer placements (minimum age 16)
- Tuesday evening, Wednesday evening, or Sunday morning availability for a January, 2023 start in Robotics program volunteer placements (minimum age 16, or 15 with previous experience as a member of a FIRST Robotics or VEX Robotics team)
- Aquatics program - Saturday/Sunday morning and afternoon availability and Monday to Thursday evening availability for a January, 2023 start in Aquatics program volunteer placements (minimum age 14 or 15 with Bronze Medallion or Bronze Cross Lifesaving Society Award qualifications or 16 with proficient swimming skills)
Volunteers must participate in the hospital's screening process and personal protective equipment (PPE) requirements. Volunteers may be required to wear a mask and goggles/face shield for the duration of a volunteer shift. Appropriate PPE and training will be provided by the hospital.
**Aquatics Instructors and volunteers will not wear medical procedure masks while working in the pool but will be required to mask while in the other areas of the hospital.
COVID-19 VACCINATION POLICY: Holland Bloorview has implemented a vaccine mandate policy, in unison with The Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids) and CHEO. The vaccine mandate applies to staff, volunteers, and learners. For more information, please click here.