Tips for Inpatient Siblings
Some tips on how to make the most of your experience when your sibling is an inpatient
- You are part of your sibling’s care team and your contributions matter!
- Your sibling might feel lonely in this new environment, so think of fun activities you can do together. Examples: Board games, movies, or going for walks.
- Take advantage of therapeutic recreation to spend time with your sibling outside of the hospital room. Examples: Pet night, movie night, or inpatient swimming.
- Help your sibling decorate his/her room with pictures, posters, and arts & crafts.
- Talk to your sibling about his/her progress. Even on difficult days, there is always something he/she is succeeding at!
- Sometimes you might feel overwhelmed; it’s always good to talk to someone about how you feel (your other siblings or your parents).
Holland Bloorview Sibling Support Group (www.hollandbloorview.ca/familyevents)
Holland Bloorview Sibling Workshop (every May: www.hollandbloorview.ca/familyevents)
Young Carers Program (https://www.ycptoronto.com/)
The Change Foundation: Ontario’s Young Carers Resources (https://www.changefoundation.ca/ontarios-young-carers/)
Young Carers Project (https://youngcarersproject.wordpress.com/)
- Community Living Toronto Sibshops (https://www.cltoronto.ca/sibshops-sibling-workshop/)
- The 3rd floor Family Lounge has a computer available 24 hours a day
- The Family Research Centre on the 1st floor has computers available Monday–Friday 8:30 am to 5:00 pm
- WIFI password: hollandbloorview
- (Please use headphones when watching/listening to something in the room if someone is sleeping.)
Garden Grill Café (1st floor) is open Monday–Friday 11:30 am to 1:30 pm
Tim Hortons (1st floor) is open: Monday–Friday 7:30 am to 5:30 pm (Friday closes at 4:30 pm), Saturday and Sunday 9:00 am to 2:00 pm
*closed holidays, long weekends, and summer weekends (mid-June to mid-September)
Vending machines are on the 1st and 3rd floors by the main elevators
Other related suggestions can be found on companion tipsheets for clients (“Battling the Hospital Blues”) and for parents (“Tips for Inpatient Parents, By Inpatient Parents”) in the Family Resource Centre or by email (email@example.com).