Please note: The information provided in this tipsheet is for reference only. It is not intended as a recommendation or endorsement of organizations, news sources, agencies or private businesses, or as a comprehensive resource list.
Based on when you are viewing this tipsheet, the information may not be the most up to date. Please refer to the date at the end of this document to determine when this tipsheet was last updated. You can also access this tipsheet online at hollandbloorview.ca/covid-19-tipsheets
This tipsheet is a companion to the Holland Bloorview tipsheet 'Explaining COVID-19 and Coronavirus to Children'. When creating this tipsheet, we envisioned that the information in it would help families and caregivers talk to their child or youth about COVID-19 vaccines. Before you have a talk with your child or young adult, it might be helpful to define the word vaccine.
- Busting Myths about the COVID-19 Vaccine (Holland Bloorview)
- Print and audio information on COVID-19 Vaccines by Sick Kids staff (About Kids Health)
- COVID-19 Vaccines for Ontario Youth (Kids Health First)
- COVID-19 vaccine for children and youth (Canadian Pediatric Association)
- Tips Sheet: Talking to Kids About Getting Vaccinated (City of Toronto)
- How to talk to your children about COVID-19 vaccines (UNICEF)
- A Parent's Guide to Making Vaccination Shots Less Painful (Today’s Parent) Quick dos and don'ts to make vaccination more comfortable for children.
- CARD System(Sick Kids/About Kids Health)The CARD system provides strategies that can be used to help cope before and during vaccination. Resources include videos and handouts that assist in preparing for vaccination.
- Commitment to Comfort: Numbing Cream Information Guide (Alberta Health Services COVID-19 Vaccine Taskforce) Caregivers may decide to use a numbing cream to ease pain and distress before and during vaccination for their child.
Here are some examples of social stories that you can use:
- COVID-19 Vaccine Social Story (Surrey Place)
- Injection Social Stories (Happy Learners)
- Getting My COVID-19 Vaccine - Resource for Children with ASD (Hands the Family Network)
- Getting a COVID-19 Vaccine (Centre for Dignity in Healthcare for People with Disabilities)
Need more resources? Try these:
- Centres for Disease Control and Prevention
- Ottawa Public Health
We encourage you to visit our website to access all of our COVID-19 or Coronavirus specific family tip sheets. If you are looking for other family resources that have to do with childhood disability, please visitwww.hollandbloorview.ca/resourcecentre.
Created by the Family Support Specialists and Family Leaders at Holland Bloorview Kids Rehabilitation Hospital on November 29, 2021. If you have a question or a resource to share, please feel free to reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org