Melanie Penner, MD FRCP(C)
Associate Professor, Department of Paediatrics, University of Toronto; Assistant Professor (Status), Institute of Health Policy, Management and Evaluation, University of Toronto; Associate Faculty, Institute of Medical Sciences
As a clinician scientist, Dr. Penner's clinical and research interests are in autism spectrum disorder. In particular, she is interested in service delivery for this population, including evaluating the impact and cost-effectiveness of new care models. Dr. Penner has done research and educational work to expand Ontario's diagnostic capacity for autism spectrum disorder diagnoses in the community setting, decreasing wait times and facilitating earlier access to essential intervention programs.
Education & Profession
Dr. Melanie Penner obtained her Bachelors degree in Health Sciences at McMaster University in 2004, followed by her Medical degree at Queen's University in 2008. She did her paediatric residency training at the University of Toronto and did a developmental paediatrics subspecialty residency at the University of Toronto/Holland Bloorview Kids Rehabilitation Hospital. She completed a Masters of Science in the Health Services Research program at the Institute of Health Policy, Management and Evaluation at the University of Toronto through the Clinician Investigator Program in 2015.
- Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
- International Society for Autism Research
- American Academy of Paediatrics
- Ontario Medical Association
Canadian Medical Association
Medication Clinical Trials
- A Phase III, Randomized, Double-blind, Placebo-controlled, Efficacy, and Safety Study of Balovaptan in Adults with Autism Spectrum Disorder with a 2-year Open-Label Extension
- Autism Learning Health Network (ALHN)
- Phung, J., Penner, M., Pirlot, C., & Welch, C. (2021). What I Wish You Knew: Insights on Burnout, Inertia, Meltdown, and Shutdown From Autistic Youth. Frontiers in psychology, 12, 741421. https://doi.org/10.3389/fpsyg.2021.741421
- Das, J., Hartman, L., King, G., Jones-Stokreef, N., Moore Hepburn, C., & Penner, M. (2021). Perspectives of Canadian Rural Consultant Pediatricians on Diagnosing Autism Spectrum Disorder: A Qualitative Study. Journal of developmental and behavioral pediatrics : JDBP, 43(3), 149–158. Advance online publication. https://doi.org/10.1097/DBP.0000000000001006
- Makino, A., Wong, P. Y., King, G., Hartman, L., & Penner, M. (2017). Parent Experiences of Autism Spectrum Disorder Diagnosis: a Scoping Review. Paediatrics & Child Health, 22(Suppl 1), e9. https://doi.org/10.1093/pch/pxx086.020
- Kara, I., & Penner, M. (2021). Impact of Antipsychotic Guidelines on Laboratory Monitoring in Children with Neurodevelopmental Disorders. Journal of child and adolescent psychopharmacology, 31(1), 79–83. https://doi.org/10.1089/cap.2020.0096
- 1. Fehlings D, Penner M, Donner E. (2016). Management of Common Co-Morbidities in Neurodevelopmental Disorders. Swaiman K, Ashwal S, Ferriero D, Schor N.Swaiman’s Pediatric Neurology: Principles and Practice. 6th edition: Chapter 58. Published, Elsevier, United Kingdom.
- 2. Penner M, Zwaigenbaum L & Roberts W. (2015). Diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorders: Screening, Surveillance, Assessment and Formulation. Anagnostou E, Brian J. Clinician’s Manual: Autism Spectrum Disorder. : N/A. Published, Springer Health Care, Switzerland.
Please contact Alex Habito, Executive Assistant
Bloorview Research Institute
Holland Bloorview Kids Rehabilitation Hospital
150 Kilgour Road Toronto, ON M4G 1R8
T: 416-425-6220, Ext.6343 F: 416-424-3840
autism spectrum disorder - diagnosis and treatment in kids with complex behavioural challenges; how health services are delivered to children and youth with autism